Monday, January 20, 2014

Flexibility and Commitment

Let me tell you about my night.... I went to bed at 1 am (lately I just can't seem to get to sleep at a decent hour), at 3:30 ish our 9 year old comes and crawls into bed with us. Our 5 year old was in bed with us not too long after also. If our daughter wasn't in a crib still, I'm sure she would've been in bed with us too. We do have a king sized bed but we may as well have been sleeping in a twin last night! Also, I forgot to turn my 5:45 am alarm I have set for week days off. Once that alarm went off I was up for the day. My elliptical machine is in my bedroom so I couldn't do my workout as soon as I woke up like I had planned on. Soon I found myself catching up on shows on my DVR and feeling lazier and lazier. I need to mention that when I woke up I was SORE SORE SORE!!!! My abs are killing me and my shoulders and legs are feeling the workout I did as well and I love that feeling. However, I found myself thinking of every reason not to do my workout today. The more I thought about not working out the more disappointed I was in myself. So I decided to get going as soon as my boys woke up. I got the cardio part of my workout done by 8:45 and as soon as I was done my daughter woke up and my Grandma Zapata (my mom's mom) was here to get her morning medicine.

-Side note: My Grandma was diagnosed in December with moderate to severe dementia. She and I are the only members of our family left in our hometown so we've become really close these past 6 weeks because she comes over every morning and evening for her medicine. She is so funny and is one of the highlights of my days.

My Grandma loves to talk and I really do love to listen to what she has to say but I really have to listen closely because she mumbles (because she is hard of hearing as well) and she has a pretty thick Spanish accent still AND likes to speak Spanglish! She'll be telling me a story about something and all the sudden she's speaking Spanish!
 I still needed to do my crunches and ab workouts so I had to take a break while she was here. Once I was able to continue my workout, I did 5 reps of 20 crunches, 3 reps of 20 oblique workout things with 5 lbs, and 2 min cycling motion on the couch with 5 lbs. I was so happy and proud of myself for seeing it through and not letting the changes to my daily schedule mess up my fitness. There are always going to be reasons not to work out but I'm trying to focus on my reasons TO workout:
1. I want to be healthy
2. I want to feel good about what I look like
3. I want to prove to myself that I can do it
4. I want to be a good example to my children of what healthy is
5. I want to relieve stress!!!!!
For breakfast I had 1/4 cup of honey strawberry greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of flax and pumpkin seed granola (which I love to snack on anyway), and 1/2 of a banana.


For lunch I had a tuna sandwich with cheese, lettuce, and tomato.

For dinner I had a 6" flatbread sweet onion chicken teriyaki with spinach.
                 (no pic...sorry)
I know I wasn't perfect today with what I ate but I made better choices throughout the day. I didn't eat chips with my sandwich, I got a 6" instead of a footlong which I could very easily devour! Also, I decided to weigh myself today and then I won't weigh myself again until Sunday. Today I weighed 156 lbs! I lost 2 lbs!!!! Even if it is just water weight, it's the motivation I needed to see today. Better than gaining 2 lbs of water weight in my opinion.
I just want to take a second and say thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and comments and all of the encouragement I've received. I feel a lot better about putting all of this out there and really look forward to hearing about everyone else's journeys to fitness! Nobody can stop you but you! Don't be the reason you aren't happy! I failed to mention I am the biggest Friends fan ever! I own every episode and have watched them all hundreds of times.... not even exaggerating a little bit. In one of the episodes Phoebe says, "I don't want to be the reason you're unhappy. That would just make me unhappy. And I really don't want to be the reason I'm unhappy." I totally agree! We each control our own happiness. Yeah crappy things happen to all of us, some more often than others but you can still choose to be happy. So get fit and be happy!
Goodnight! xo,
Tristen
PS. Also, this happened today. Terrible 2's at 21 months yaaaaay......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment