Sunday, February 9, 2014

I'm Back and a girl!

*the blog title comes from when I was little. I loved Patty Lovelace's song I'm That Kind of Girl but for some reason I called it I'm back and a girl. I would argue with my mom about what the song was called and I remember feeling so frustrated because she didn't believe me haha!

When I said this blog is about REAL life, being a REAL mom, and having REAL challenges, I wasn't kidding. Last Friday, my cheat day, I got really discouraged with my workouts, my results, falling behind in my housework, crafts, and everything else and I've been having some health issues I finally decided to get checked. I'll go into details once I know a bit more. I thought I could shake it pretty easily but the longer I waited to start working out again, the harder it was to get back into it. Normally, I would weigh and measure myself today, Sunday, but I'm going to do all of that tomorrow when I wake up. I'm prepared to see setbacks since I haven't worked out in over a week and I haven't really been paying as close attention to what I'm eating as I was doing before. I've decided though, that any setbacks I see on the scale or in my measurements isn't as bad as quitting. And I haven't failed until I quit trying.

For the past 3 years now, we've cooked meat in the ground the Saturday before Super Bowl and we have a party at our house.
Me and Jake
 
My father-in-law and Jake's cousin
 
We always start the fire in the ground around 3 pm Saturday and the meat goes in the pit at midnight. So, we have a good time hanging out around the fire pit. This year, I made posole with red chile, and homemade flour tortillas. Every time I've made this in the past, it hasn't turned out like my mama's or grandma's but this time it did! I was so happy.
blended softened red chile pods with other ingredients
separating the red chile sauce from the skins
red chile skins left afterwards
Finished red chile
Pork
Posole before I added the pork
The finished product! Sooo yummy!
My flour tortillas
The cook
 
The past 2 years we cooked a whole pig, but this year we decided to cook 3 briskets instead. We had a decent turn out and watched the Seahawks stomp the Broncos. I got to catch up with Jake's Aunt Laveta, his cousin Natane, and my good friend Jenny. Throughout the week I continued working on potty training Kennady and she is doing great! I also finished my huge piles of laundry that have been haunting me. The thing I was most happy about is that I was able to get Jakes Crown Royal quilt I started for him in October, sandwiched and over to my mother-in-law's house next door for her to quilt for me. As soon as she's done with that, I'll be able to finish it and finally give it to him.
AJ had to have his 5 year old shots on Wednesday and I took him to get ice cream afterwards. Poor guy! I think it's harder for kids to get their shots when their older and know what's going on than when their younger. It's hard to watch either way. On Thursday I went to get my hair colored. It was my birthday present from my parents. I get my hair done about every 8 weeks or so. I love how it turned out! I see Sasha at Studio 907 Salon in Farmington, NM. I've gone to her since I was about 15 years old and I've NEVER had a bad hair cut or color from her. She is amazing.
Friday was my 26th birthday. This was a hard one for me for some reason. I don't have a problem telling people my age or anything but just the thought of being 26 already is weird. Jake took me and the kids to visit my parents in Fruita, CO on Friday and we got back today. My mother-in-law sent flowers to be waiting for me at my mom's house. They were very pretty. My mom and dad took Jake and I out to Le Rouge for my birthday dinner. This restaurant is sooo good! I had a strawberry salad, a New York strip, and Crème Brule. It was the best! We are glad to be home but I definitely wish my family lived closer! I miss them already. I also received a call from my Grandpa who I haven't spoken with in 1 1/2 years for various reasons. I was very surprised to see his name come up on my phone. It was very awkward but I'm glad I answered, maybe this is the start of some sort of change. Only time will tell.
I just love my Mama! She's so pretty and silly!

Well, I'm glad to be back to the blogging world. I'm excited to continue my fitness journey tomorrow and tell you guys all about it! Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Please share my posts and my blog if you like them!
xo,
Tristen

1 comment:

  1. You're so cute! You really did get the cooking gene. That's just not my forte. You lucky dog got to see mom and dad I miss them tons! Love you sis your the best!

    ReplyDelete