Monday, May 5, 2014

Chevron Afghan Tutorial Link Up

I remember when my mama taught me how to crochet. I was 10 years old, we had just moved back to the four corners area from Albuquerque, NM and while we were waiting for things to be final on our house we were living with my Grandma and Grandpa Johnson, my dads parents. Once I got the hang of how to do it, I couldn't put it down. I made a purse for my sister, a backpack for myself and a friend and a lot of other little pieces. I wish I would've kept them but I have no idea where they went. My mom learned how to crochet from her mom who learned from her mom. My dad's mom also knows how to crochet and she learned from her mom who learned from her mom. My Grandma Johnson gave Kennady the last afghan that is left of what her mother made before she passed away. It means a lot to me because of where and who it came from. I started thinking how special it is to me and how it will be special to Kennady someday and I decided that I wanted to make one for each of my nieces and nephews.

I found this pattern on pinterest from All Things Bright and Beautiful. I also found more pins that go into a little more detail on how to do the stitches (although it is very easy) on Pinterest. Since I had intended this afghan to be a gift for one of the little guys in my life I decided to have the accent color be blue. Soon after I began this project I realized that since I hadn't crocheted in about 14 years, my first project was not good enough to be gifted. I made mistakes that I didn't catch until I was almost done and I was NOT going to take it all apart. They aren't huge mistakes but I know that they're there.

This is what I learned for next time:
COUNT YOUR STITCHES! This is really where I went wrong. I started off counting my stitches and then decided I was doing good so I could just eyeball it. Pretty soon instead of having 14 stitches between each peak and valley I had 19 on some and 12 on others. Haha! I made it all work by slowly fixing it as I went along but there is a spot in the blanket that is rippled and wider than others lol.
COUNT YOUR ROWS! I again thought that I could eyeball it and ended up doing 11 rows instead of 10 on one of the white sections. Then I miscounted one of the grey sections. So count and count again!

All in all this pattern is very easy and I'll definitely be making more of these. I'm even considering selling them. Would anyone be interested in that? For now I'll just be gifting them to family.





 
 


 
 
Thanks for reading! XO
Tristen

 

1 comment: